April 28, 2009

I WONDER WHAT DAD IS THINKING??

The Chevy Vega-GM/Lordstown, OH (1970's)

My first car was a Vega, a white one with maroon interior, purchased in 1980!


My dad--a former auto worker--worked faithfully at an Ohio General Motors plant for decades, first as an hourly employee, later as a foreman, and before his retirement, the parts manager;  his duties at one time included ordering parts from various suppliers around the country.

I remember vividly, the day he came home talking about how he was asked to order this one particular part from Mexico. He said, "I refused to do it". Of course you have to have known my dad to know what that actually meant. If he he didn't agree with something, he'd let you know in no UNCERTAIN terms FOR SURE! Anyone whoever has been on the receiving end knows what I'mtalkin'bout! (smile).   I was very young and didn't quite know what all of the fuss was about at the time.

Anyway, as the child of a GM worker. I benefited from all of my dad's benefits. My siblings and I had a good life, oooh and we always had the latest 'rides'--GM models of course! My favorite was that maroon Pontiac Grand Prix, by then I was a high schooler WITH a driver's license! HOT DOG!! You couldn't tell me nuttin'!

So now, over 30 years later, GM is on the verge of collapse and planning to phase out the storied Pontiac brand. I--as do many others--watch in disbelief as the company frantically works to stay afloat.

Will it survive?
Dad is in heaven now, I wonder, 'What he's thinking?'

                            Dad and mom back in the day ...

Your thoughts on the auto crisis? Cast your vote in the poll.

2 comments:

  1. Does God exist? Have a look at Vagabond.

    Noncommercial personal advertisement!

    Blog tips:

    http://winmir.blogspot.com/ My Philosophy.

    http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/ My Poetry.

    http://screenfonds.blogspot.com/ My Art.

    - Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a touching story about your father.

    Like baseball and apple pie, General Motors is an American Institution. They're viability is crucial to making sure the U.S. stay viable as a manufacturing country.

    ReplyDelete